RSS

Now, I'm getting a real Londonist Experience

Flyer Goodness Filed Under:
South Wimbledon to Canary Wharf:
11.3 Miles

But well worth it.




That thing is a beauty. A little old, one-speed (but manually adjustable on the frame), and no shocks, but its very nimble, fun and efficient. I've always wanted an old racer bike back in Socal and now it's a way to save money, and even time, while getting a really good workout.



I had to sit and observe for a while about how bicyclists here handle traffic, while this was a little different than what I was used to on right side of the wide streets of Orange County. However, it was worth the trip there and back, as well as the 60 pounds to cover the bike. Which, Ironically, would cover 4-5 weeks of very frugal travel expenses, and it's something I'll be able to sell back, not have to wait (or pay for), and take me on really fast journeys to the tube if need be.

Bicycling is indeed different here, but it's really widespread, and being a bicyclist is like joining a huge club. There are signals for bikes on traffic lights, in addition to the pedestrian and regular green lights. There's a bike section as to where to stop, and there's always jaggedy lines denoting where bicyclists are supposed to be.

Oddly enough however, I do look like I've been here, or just really desperate, because some lads approached me when I was unlocking my bike at Canary Wharf and asked, candidly and seriously, if I was stealing the bike. I was a little befuddled but I showcased my uncut bike lock and key that I had so that i could leave promptly.

edit post

1 Response to "Now, I'm getting a real Londonist Experience"

  1. shaun homsapaya Says:
  2. nice wheels. thats a 22 mile bike ride, you may be the next lance armstrong of the uk yet. im still not losing the bet.

Post a Comment